The Department of Family and Community Medicine at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) welcomes submissions to the 39th annual William Carlos Williams poetry competition during the 2020-2021 academic year.
The competition is open to students attending colleges of medicine or osteopathy in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. Submissions will be judged by the Wick Poetry Center at Kent State University. Winning poetry will be selected on the basis of craftsmanship, originality and content. Winning poets will be notified by March 1, 2021.
First, second, and third-place prize winners will be awarded $300, $200, and $100, respectively, and invited to NEOMED as featured readers in the annual awards ceremony, to be held on April 23, 2021. All travel expenses will be paid by NEOMED’s Department of Family and Community Medicine. The top three poems are also reviewed and considered for publication in the Journal of Medical Humanities.
- Submit online at neomed.edu/medicine/fcm/about/poetry-competition/
- Online submissions must be received before midnight on December 31, 2020 to be considered.
- All entries will undergo blind review and should contain no identifying information other than the title of the poem.
- Students may submit up to three poems.
- Each poem is not to exceed 750 words.
- Poems must be written in English and can reflect medical as well as non-medical subjects.
- Entrants must be enrolled in programs leading to the Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree.
- Each poem must be original, unpublished (except for college publications) and must not have won a contest
at the time of submission.
- Previous monetary winners in the William Carlos Williams poetry competition are not eligible to compete in AY20-21.